Sunday, June 19, 2011

Week 17, Day 3 - Dislocated my shoulder...

Yesterday I was going to do my 3rd workout for the week as planned, followed my an interval cardio session for 15 minutes. Since it was Saturday and we didn't have anything planned, I decided to leisurely read in bed while the kids watched a movie...Bret was still sleeping.

My shoulder has been dislocating since I was about 16 years old - it started when I would play tennis or anything else that required me to put my arm straight up, and then put force on it. Hurt SO, so bad.

It got better as I started working out when I was 23 - but even still, inevitably, it will dislocate about once every 2 years. I never know when or where it will hit - it comes close quite often but I always have to be careful and aware of what I am doing, ALWAYS. It KILLS and is also quite gross feeling, as I can clearly feel the "ball" coming out of the socket.

So I was reading, and felt a sneeze coming on - since DH was sleeping, I tried to lean to the side away from him and at the same time, used my "bad" arm to cover my mouth...and wham, there it went. I immediately went into a cold sweat, my heart pounding, and had to relax, relax, as it slowly slowly eased back into the socket. It's really traumatic when it happens.

I immediately knew, that a workout was out of the question. Completely. I lay there realizing that there really is NO exercise I can do when I have to keep my arm basically close to my side with my hand basically on my heart. It has to be locked in that position tightly, or else it is very loose - it feels like the ligaments or whatever that were holding it securely in the socket were stretched and probably torn - thus the "loose" feeling.

Even if I go running, my arms swing by my side.

I was so bummed. I have really big plans for this week, especially since the family week I've been using as my goal, is only 21 days away! That's ONLY 3 weeks! So I decided then and there that I am going to really dial into nutrition, that's all I can do! And it IS something, really, I suppose, since eating is about 90% of your success anyway!

HOWEVER. Two things. I did not do well with eating yesterday -- it is really hard for me to eat well when I have not had the exercise backing me up and motivating me for that day. DH and I ended up going to a movie at Northern Lights ($3 ea + food served to you while you watch, gotta' love it!) and saw Lincoln Lawyer - VERY good movie, by the way! Anyway, I had a big salad (good), nachos minus meat and sour cream (not so good) and the Peanut Butter Mountain (BAD - ice cream, reese's, brownies, fudge, AND whipped cream). Felt kind of sick after that, but it sure was good. =)

Second thing. This morning I woke up at 6:30 and out of the blue it occured to me - make a sling! I had no idea if it would work, but I got one of Harmony's thin blankets and folded it diagonally, then tied a knot. I put it on and used a safety pin and wa-lah! I didn't know how it would actually PERFORM, but heck, I was really determined!

It worked WONDERFULLY! Yes I felt a little dorky running with this baby blanket on my shoulder - white with little pastel animals or flowers on it, lol. At first it was hard to find my rythm...not being able to swing both arms. But then I found my groove and just...continued on. I didn't know if my back would start hurting, or my neck from holding up my arm, or what. But it was fine - I'm soooo happy about that!

So while I know I won't be able to lift weights for probably about a week, I plan to run 5 miles every single morning. And also, with my goal coming in sight so quickly, just 20 days away now, I am working with my nutritional plans and am going to focus intensely on green smoothies for the next week. But as much raw food as I possibly can - I know especially with lots of greens, that this will provide premium nutrition to the baby as well as not storing any additional fat (like, um, the peanut butter mountain last night).

I'm still feeling pretty drab in my clothes. I think all my tops except for 2 (and my tanktops, but it hasn't been warm enough here yet to wear those) are true blue maternity and just have WAY too much loose material in the tummy. Yet, I can't really wear normal clothes - well at least, all my normal clothes are too small because I was SUPER tiny before I got pregnant, and I don't want to go buy normal clothes because I'm going to outgrow them in a flash.

I keep waiting for my tummy to grow into a really preggo tummy, I think it should in the next 2-3 weeks. But it doesn't help when you're working hard to be fit and you feel frumpy in your clothes, you know? Maybe I'll hit up a few consignment stores once we get paid on the 5th...that's a good way to get some in between clothes for a decent price.

Today, nothing planned...DH is volunteering at our church to cook for the youth conference at 11 - and he went running before that so we're not seeing much of him for the first part of the day. Yesterday I spent a good portion of the day cleaning the kids' bedrooms, vacuuming, putting lots of toys (shhhh) in the trash. It feels so great to have that done! I think today I might tackle my bedroom, it's been the most neglected since I've been sick. I love days like this when I have nothing planned, nothing to do....

....oh, I just remembered it's Father's Day. Hmmm....I should get a card for my Dad, maybe? Hmm....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sherah! I think of you every day now:) Especially this morning when I went for a power walk in the sprinkling rain while everyone else slept:):)
    Sucks about the arm...I guess our bodies do have their limits:) blah!
    Hope you find some clothes soon! I hate feeling frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about your arm! way to go with running even with a hurt arm!!! totally impressive!

    ReplyDelete