Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Week 16, Day 6 - School BBQ & 5 Mile Run

Last night I realized that I am fighting a cold. My kids have the symptoms too, runny nose...sore throat - my throat was scratchy all night and I felt a little bit swollen in the glands in my throat. I woke up periodically, looking at the clock as usual (bladder calls) and at 5:15, contemplated whether or not to actually get up and go run, or reset the alarm to my normal wakeup time of 6:40. I wasn't feeling all that great...but then, aren't there always a million excuses in the early morning? Oh, definitely.

I got up and of course, I am soooo glad I did. I felt better the more awake I got, and besides, if I DO get worse, I'll be glad to have this run under my belt for sure.
I ran 5 miles again, and enjoyed it as usual! It was long, and hard at times, but I focused more on praying today - while listening to Enya. I want to do that more, it's a really special time alone with God, although it'd be nice to get some type of classical music; not so easy to pray with words playing loudly in your ear, lol!

Today the kids have their last day of school - I bring them at 8:30, then have to come back and quickly take a shower, eat breakfast, and make some type of dessert to bring (lemon squares? Something squares probably, quick & easy) to the school BBQ at 10:30. It's so nice not to have to make their lunches this morning! At 12:30 the BBQ and school are officially over - it'll be sooo nice not to have to wake them up and get them out the door every morning!

The local schools here provide free lunches for any children ages 1-18 just about every day for the entire summer. It is SO nice and saves us probably a good $150 for the summer. The lunches they serve are not necessarily the most nutritious, but I give them a good breakfast and home cooked dinner every day so it's alright. That starts tomorrow, and it's nice because they play on the playground afterwards, most days. It's also nice to have *some* kind of structure in our day, gets us out of the house - last year we enjoyed blueberry picking afterwards.

During family week and summer conference at Macleay it is also nice, because there's a school pretty close that I take the children to - which means, no lunches to make and no extra food FOR lunches to pack! But I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start scattering all around the property too much and it's too hard to round them up at a specific time...but we'll see. It has been nice in years past, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. How do you measure how far you went? Do you have a little gadget to measure where the 5 miles end?

    ReplyDelete