Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Week 16, Day 5 - Week's goals, motivation, and body at pool thoughts

I'll be honest, the last few days have been a struggle for me. This morning my plan was, after going to bed with a way too full stomach full of junk and PROMISING myself tomorrow would be different, to do my first Fit Yummy Mummy workout and eat ONLY raw all day long. Lots of watermelon, in particular!

First thing I ate was some of Harmony's cereal - full blown MILK, Life cereal, and rolled oats. Hmmm. I took the kids to school and contemplated things on the way home, and decided that I was going to just take this workout plan and ignore it for today. And eat whatever.

Got home, made myself 2 bowls of cereal - Life & Honey Bunches of Oats. We never have this type of cereal but with our WIC vouchers, we get them for free so we get about 5 boxes per month. One box is usually gone in one morning so it's rare that there is any left. And I love both of those kinds! But NOT raw by any means and always a no-no for me. =(

Checked my email. Thanks for your email, Jen!! Super nice to hear from you, and thank you for the encouragement - hearing it from you, who has recently been there, done that - was good. Funny cuz you'd THINK having done this seven times already, I would be like oh yeah, don't even worry - it'll all be over before I know it. Ha ha. Yeah, it still feels like eons, YEARS, since I felt normal and will be even more YEARS until I do. =)

What else was in my email? The 4th of July picnic details at Macleay!! As I was reading about it, I got SO excited and cannot wait - it'll be a small taste of things yet to come with conference and family week because this time...we get to spend the night!! In the same dorm room we'll be staying in for family week. Then just THREE short days later, we'll be back for 8 more days!

This is the type of thing that motivates me HUGELY to continue on with my efforts to be fit and healthy this pregnancy. Especially the pool - it's not like I think I'm going to look amazing at the pool, lol. It's that I have spent many summers feeling so awful because I did not do ANYTHING to make my physique better BEFORE hand. I clearly remember after having baby #5 in May (I know, really awful time when you're at the pool and 1 month postpartum...) sitting there feeling so overweight and like my body was, well, UGLY. And you know what? I think 75% of that was because I KNEW that I had done it to myself.

I am the one who just let myself go during the pregnancy AND afterward, did not exercise and ate Taco Bell, Burger King, and ice cream like every single night for weeks on end. I KNEW I shouldn't and yet, I did. And there I was. Looking at other Moms (and yes I know it's NOT good to compare, but this gave me an idea of what I DID want to look like) I just felt....yuck.

I remember sitting there and having a conversation with myself - I remember it really clearly. I promised myself that I would never, ever, ever put myself in that position again. When you feel badly about how you look, I think it really spills over into other areas. But it's not so much HOW you look, really - it's what you are doing about it!!

If you're 50 pounds - heck, 100 pounds - overweight, yet have been dieting and exercising for 3 weeks and have seen inch and weight loss, you will feel on top of the world at the pool. NOT that you think your body is perfect BUT there is not that hopeless feeling of "I wish, but it will never be for me...". That's it. It's HOPE that makes the difference.

So that is what really gets me motivated and excited to continue on these days - there is 3 1/2 weeks left until family week, aka pool time. I have a HOPE that I will look and feel better than I do now, then.

But in order to do that I gotta get of my duff pretty much...um...right now, before Harmony gets up, and do my FYM workout. Day by day, especially those days where I just.do.not.feel.like.it. Like today!

Update: 11:am

Okay, IN.LOVE. with my newest Fit Yummy Mummy workout!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It took me about 50 minutes to complete the warmup, workout, and 15 minute interval cardio. That is PERFECT! My goal is to do some type of exercise for approx an hour 6 days a week. Yesterday was my rest day, so here is my plan for the rest of the week:

Wed - 5 mile run
Thurs - FYM Workout + interval cardio
Fri - 5 mile run
Sat - FYM Workout + interval cardio, and a 5 mile run (later in the day prob)
Sun - 5.25 mile run
Mon - FYM Workout + interval cardio

In essence, my goal is to do 5 miles min. 4x per week, and workout/interval 3x per week. So one day a week I'll have to double up, if I'm going to accomplish that goal - but if it is just too much, then I'm ok with 3x a week running too. We'll see...how much this pregnant body can do.

So far I have not pushed myself beyond any natural warning signs. I can't even tell that I am pregnant when I am running - except for in the beginning, "the girls" are bouncing a little more than I am used to. When you're close to an A-cup, you don't really need much of anything as far as a sports bra goes. When you're a fuller cup, especially getting-ready-to-nurse type of cup, lol, things get a little more interesting. I'm going to have to figure out something better than just my normal Old Navy sports bra, I think.

So today, I started doing my normal and favorite go-to interval cardio of jumping jacks, side jumps, twist jumps, and that did NOT go over too well. My belly was com-plai-ning about that! So I switched to ice skater side little hops which is more of a smooth and fluid motion and that was perfect - and also just danced VIGOROUSLY to the music for a minute, then rested for a minute. That was FUN until I got side aches something fierce so I'll have to figure out how to combine the two.

All in all, great workout and my face was BEET red when I was done and I'd worked up a really good sweat - always a good sign, lol!

PS It's super cute but not very, um, feasible, when you're in the middle of working out, shaky and all, and your ADORABLE 23 month old with little mini pigtails and big puppy dog eyes comes up to you with her bottle and blanket and holds up her hands for you to rock her. Soooooo cute!!! But...not very good timing, lol.

PPSS Not a good idea to do hardcore exercise when you've just eaten 2 bowls of cereal with dairy. Especially when said dairy does not agree with your stomach in the FIRST place....

Just for kicks, here is what I have accomplished in the last week:

Mon - Venus Workout
Tues - Rest
Wed - Venus Workout
Thurs - 3 mile power walk w/stroller
Fri - 3 mile run
Sat - 4 mile run
Sun - 5 mile run

Now if I can just get my eating lined up, I'll know that I am doing ALL I CAN to be fit & healthy this pregnancy, and the rest is up to my body. NO looking in the mirror and berating myself for the way I look because I know I'm working the darn hardest that I can! Right? Right. =)

3 comments:

  1. new reader here... i had four babies in four years. youngest is five months old and i'm TRYING to lose my baby weight. so hard to find time to exercise with such small children. reading your stuff totally inspires me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    THAT is it! It's the hope, the inspiration of "being healthy" that makes me feel good too.
    Good success in these next weeks, you can do it:) and you will feel better when eating better too

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true its not even about perfection anymore! It's about feeling a bit in control like you are doig all you can and feeling good about it!

    ReplyDelete