Friday, July 1, 2011

Week 19, Day 1 - 5 Mile Run + Workout, Family Week prep, +....strawberry picking!

This morning I did NOT feel like running. ugh. Not not not. But once I got out there, about 10 minutes into it, I was glad...listened to a Venus fitness podcast that helped get my head in the right place. I ran exactly 5 miles, it felt great!

Once I got home, I did 3/4 of a workout, which is a first for me, combining the two. I think I felt like my run wasn't all that hard since it was barely 5 miles, compared to running a 10k which is 6.2 miles. It's all in your head, I tell you! =)

I did only 2 weight workouts this week and I really wanted to do 3 - yesterday was my running day so I skipped it and did it today, BUT today is supposed to be my 3rd weight workout of the week. So I did THAT too, only I skipped 2 of the exercises that are primarily for legs: squats & lunges. Instead I did just the arms but I did them 3x each instead of the normal 2x. So, a pretty good workout in all, I'd say!

Push Press - 8 reps 3x
Side Plank Pulse - 10 ea side, 3x
Reverse Fly - 8 reps 3x
Weighted Ball Mountain Climber - 12 ea leg, 3x

Today is the first of July!! And the first day of summer around these parts, apparently. We've battled gloomy days the ENTIRE spring & summer - and finally, FINALLY the 10-day forecast has all sunny days, NO clouds, except for one partly cloudy day, and the range is 74-83 degrees! I am SO stoked!

I am printing out a calendar today, and hanging it on my wall. I know what I have to do each day, and I'm going to be buying stickers and using a visible system so I can get the satisfaction of watching my month unfold. At least, I think -- we'll see how it goes. It might just be easier to view it online, we'll see.

I have managed to stay at 141 pounds for two whole weeks! I'm excited about this, it's so nice to see the scale slowing down a bit, instead of a steady 1 lb gain per week. If I gained a pound per week, I'd have a total gain of 40 pounds! Yikes!

Today we are planning to go strawberry picking - I am enjoying doing fun, almost free, things with the kids. I don't anticipate picking much, bending over isn't very tolerable for me, and Harmony being almost 2 needs constant supervision at a place like that. But for the kids, to be able to pick & eat as many berries as they want, is super fun!!!

Yesterday we went on adventures too - a trip to the library with all 7 kids is especially tricky, and I got paged more than once to the administration desk from a little person not sure where Mommy was, lol. I got some more fun thriller novels to read in the sun during naptime, and a few movies for them - monster truck documentary for Jack(3). He watches those over & over and over....I try to turn the sound down so I don't go nuts, ha ha!

After that we headed to the Kroc Center, kind of like the YMCA - a family activity center. They are serving free cold lunches for kids there this year so we got that and ate it in the grass in a circle. Since we are members until September thanks to a scholarship, we went in and the kids enjoyed rock climbing and playing Wii games, while I sat with the little ones in the daycare room (the kids won't let me leave them there, except for Jack) and played Thomas trains and baby dolls. Then I joined the bigger kids in the game room where Marie(5) and I played a game of memory, and a game of domino's.

It gets kind of tricky because they just changed the rules so you have to have a parent with you if you're under 10. But the game room is clearly for older kids than toddlers, so if I go in there with my toddlers so the olders can play the Wii, the toddlers get bored pretty quickly. They open the dominos and checkers games and play with them for about 5 minutes, then start throwing them...it's tricky. I wish they would stay in the daycare room, but oh well - it's not something we do all the time. I just have to be strategic in knowing the best time to go so the littles are in the best mood.

I'm sooooo excited for family week at Macleay coming up! Getting psyched up to tackle the whole thing, actually. =) We'll be there for 8 nights, 9 days...and I am glad I saved my spreadsheet on dinners and meals from last year. It worked out well to just alternate the same meal every other night. I think we had spaghetti and tacos...so I cooked up tons of meat and froze it beforehand, and also cooked all the spaghetti noodles too. I bought pre-shredded cheese for the tacos, and lettuce already cut...it made everything SO much easier! For DH & I, I premade all the salad fixings which lasted us most of the week.

Dinner is REALLY chaotic when you have to make it to the meeting by 6pm, and have been in the pool all day and have to share a kitchen with 4-5 other families, some of them with lots of children. Last year I had a crawling baby underfoot so it's going to be a world of difference having a 2 year old, in that regard!

Then of course there's all the packing, although I don't have NEAR as big of a challenge as those coming from farther away - Canada, and such. We are going for the 4th of July picnic and they've allowed us to spend the night, and leave some of our things in our room since we'll be coming back just 4 days later. That means way less packing/hauling in the long run...we can leave our bikes, 2 playpens, all the sheets on the beds (we have extra just for Macleay), the bunkbed "gates", etc.

I'm also having fun mapping out my runs! My PLAN (and I say this tongue and cheek because I've never done this while pregnant on vacation = exhaustion so...) is to continue running 15 miles per week while I'm there. But the tricky part comes in to play because at night, DH especially LOVES to socialize. He loves to walk down to the campground and hang out with various friends - and loves for me to come with him. These nights can get super late, even 1-2am. There's no way I'll even want to get up early enough to go running and shower BEFORE the kids wake up. Hmmm. Cuz I also don't want to miss out, those times are super fun!

So my plan is to do shorter runs, but do them as many mornings as I possibly can. Maybe 5 3-mile runs, for instance. But also, DH has taken some of the days off so it's possible that he could go running, come back, and when he's done with his shower (kids will have been dressed & fed by me), I can go. I just LOVE the very early morning runs, when everyone is sleeping and it's just me and God, and my own private thoughts which often don't get much time in my busy days. That, and the sun just gets hotter and hotter so if I'm taking off on a run at 10am, that could get pretty warm. I love the crisp morning air of a summer day with the promise of warmth later in the morning.

I don't plan on doing any weight training while out there, cuz duh, I won't be bringing my weights. But I might do a few body weight exercises like squats, pushups, lunges...we'll see. All I can go by is past memories on how it will be but honestly, while I HAVE stayed out there when I was exactly this pregnant in the summer, I have never worked out and been pregnant. So we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment