Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mama's STRESSED and the Baking Bug!

Apparently this morning, my hormones are feeling wacky today and I have been a witch with a capital "B". =( Saturdays are supposed to be relaxed and fun with the whole day stretching out...Daddy home...not worrying too much about laundry and cleanup.

Why does it never actually go like I think it will?

Perhaps because there are 8 other beings in this house besides me who all have their own personalities and ideas about things.

One of the hardest things for me right now is when I am trying, trying, TRYING to do what one of the kids is asking me to do (ie, making toast) and then for some reason at the SAME TIME there are like 4 other kids who NEED me to do something for them too. DEMAND for me to do it, and not just in a minute (like I've told them 3 times already) but RIGHT NOW.

They all clamor and say, "MOM!!!!" in urgent voices in varying degrees of loudness, some crying, some stomping their feet. Oh, it just stresses me out! Really makes my blood pressure shoot through the roof (feels like anyway) and this morning was one of those mornings where I wasn't the patient and loving KIND Mommy I so want to be.

But I can always start again - and that's what I am doing - that and calling on Him for help in my time of need. Why is it so hard to humble myself and go to the throne of grace when I am losing my temper? Probably because I'm STEAMING and feeling INDIGNANT and SELF RIGHTEOUS - ie, I shouldn't have to put up with this, I don't want to be here, this day is NOT going to be a good day....all those lovely thoughts that come right at the most opportune time.

So anyway, that is my morning so far - and it's not 10am yet. But God knows what I need, and what I NEED to be quite honest, is to be pushed in the direction of being in need over myself and going to Him for help.

Because as we well know, if the day was going delightfully well with all the children playing and loving one another and making sure not to stress Mommy out - there would be no problems, thus no NEED for change or NEED for God. =)

We get paid on Friday and have very little $$ to stretch until then, and the kids need lunches this week! And they are really into toast lately - a couple of them have been turning up their nose at cereal and to make peace in the morning rush of things, I make them toast. But wow, you can sure go through ONE loaf of bread quickly just making four sandwiches for their lunches + 2 pieces of toast each in the morning! And one loaf is $2!

So today I am making Honey Wheat Bread via the bread machine for the dough, and then just shape into a loaf and rise, then pop in the oven (I think, maybe I have the sequence mixed up). One recipe makes two medium loaves, so I made up one to start in the bread machine, and then 3 more baggies with just the dry ingredients so I can quickly add the liquids needed and get the 2nd batch started. Hopefully this will take care of our bread needs until Friday.

And hopefully I won't eat any/very much of it - I am SUCH a sucker for freshly made yeast bread!

And now I feel like making pumpkin bread. Or cinnamon rolls. Or chocolate chip breakfast cookies. I'm kind of craving that "home cooked" smell in my kitchen. But it is so hard to resist when I'm hungry.........=(

2 comments:

  1. I Love baking bread but of course cant keep up with the number of loaves we need!:):) Here good bread is $3 and upward....very expensive! Good luck with not eating it...I'm a sucker too...and I ALLERGIC to the stuff...so I can imagine its that much harder if you're not!:)Notice how I'm not calling it nice names like fresh, warm ,crisp bread straight out of the oven?....cause I'm already drooling! Oh dear....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherah...I exercised today!!!! Are you proud of me?:):)

    ReplyDelete