Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 11, Day 5 - I fasted 18 hours! Yikes!

That was interesting. I didn't really even PLAN to fast but it just kind of happened. I've done some research into fasting and apparently it is not such a big deal in the first half of pregnancy (esp first trimester, many women throw up quite a bit and/or lose weight from being so sick), but towards the end when the baby NEEDS nourishment, not such a good idea.

Here's how it went down.

Yesterday was SUPER busy filled with an early morning appointment at 8:30 for Marie to get her very first immunizations - we don't immunize our kids until they are ready for Kindergarten. So she had to get five of them, poor baby...she cried and cried through the WHOLE well-child checkup and it was rough having to hold her down while they poked her with that scary looking looooong needle. Repeatedly, over & over. Five times!

Afterwards I promised her (we do this each time) we could go to Toys R Us and pick out something special, plus we also had her $3 gift card for the birthday club to spend, and a free princess crown and birthday balloon to claim! =) We got there and I realized that it was still early, 9:30, they didn't even open for half an hour!

At that point I was feeling kind of strange...I had forgotten to bring anything with me to eat, having to get all the kids out the door and to school AND to the appointment by 8:30. At least I remembered their snacks, lol.

So I put them all BACK into the car, 3 carseats is such a lovely thing to have to deal with every time. =) We went to McDonalds down the street and hung out there for about half an hour. I even tried to order some fries for them (Harmony1 didn't have much breakfast) and they don't even SELL fries until 10:30. Hmmm. I think this early stuff is for the birds! Obviously I'm not usually up & about that time of the morning.

They had SO much fun though, we were the only ones there and without the bigger kids taking over the play area, they had freedom to play their own little games. So cute, the squeals of laughter made it 100% worth it - I need to go there more often, they just LOVE it. Plus, it's free. =) And indoors...!

Then we trooped to Toys R Us and dealt with trying to find something - Marie5, I think, gets overwhelmed really easily because all of a sudden ALL the Barbies were "boring" and the Princesses were "ugly" - even the ones with pretty sparkling pink dresses. I know if I brought any ONE of them home for her as a surprise, she would love love LOVE it. It's just when there is so much, aisles and aisles, she kind of blanks.

Finally we settled on a Princess lip gloss set in the form of a see-through castle purse for $12.99. Bleh. I didn't really want to pay that much, but I guess with her $3 gift card it was only $9.99, but still! It was after about 25 minutes of deciding though, and I was getting tired and HUNGRY and just feeling kind of sick.

On the way home, I realized I actually had a whole bag of sugar snap peas in the pod in my purse! So I had some of those, that helped. It was time for lunch when we got home, so I made Marie her favorite sandwich - honey ham, lettuce, cheddar cheese, and tomatoes on whole wheat bread. Oh, man. I don't know what it is, but that combo is so appealing to me! No mayo or anything, just those simple 5 things.

I was so tempted, and of course I was pretty hungry too, having had nothing to eat since the night before at 7pm. So I guess by that time I had fasted for 16 hours. I made myself a sandwich, but I tried - I really did - to make it healthier. I used my Manna bread! It was...interesting.

Manna bread is kind of gooey and sticky, it is very close to being a whole grain "dough" more than a bread - the outside is crusty but the inside if you touch it, leaves a sticky residue on your finger. I had half the loaf (it is very small, half the loaf is the equivalent in size to just one piece of normal bread) with the same combo - ham, cheese, tomato, and lettuce.

It was pretty good, but still...didn't quite hit the spot. So I ended up having 1/4 of Marie's sandwich, plus 2 rolls with the same ingredients. White rolls. =( Not super proud of that, but I figure I could have eaten worse things...like ice cream or something!

After that I enjoyed a cup of vanilla cream with chocolate on top, and then took a nap. And woke up feeling pretty nauseous so I ended up just laying on the couch the rest of the day and trying to coordinate cleanup with the kids. It was actually kind of nice, when I'm on the couch I am just...laying there, right? So it's a perfect opportunity for the little ones to periodically wander over with their blankies and lay with me. And the older ones hang around, talking about this & that.

Grace6 had a hard day at school yesterday, a girl was bothering her in the bus so she did something that made the girl cry, and Grace got in trouble. Grace has a very VERY dramatic personality so whatever emotion she is feeling, oh boy, she is FEELING it. She very much hates and very much loves. So we spent some time together having "Grace & Mommy time" as the kids like to call it, writing down allllll her ideas for her birthday (coming up in 3 weeks). Everything she wants, who she wants to invite, what colors on her cake, whether to have a pinata or not and where to put it, etc. It was special. =)

I finally got up at 6pm and put a can of the kids' favorite stew we get from the food bank + a good helping of white rice leftover from Macleay. I like to use one can of stew and then add a bunch of stuff to it so it turns into a dinner, and I feel quite frugal. Hee hee. Oh, I also used the leftover tomato basil soup I made the other night to add more bulk to it. The kids did NOT like that soup, but they sure didn't notice it mixed with the stew! Several of them asked me to please make this dinner again, lol.

I also had grabbed a small bag of iceburg lettuce mix & a bag of rolls from the "free" food cart at Macleay, so that's what we had...it made for a really fast dinner so I could go lay down again. Bret had to leave so I referee'd dinner from the couch.

It was really strange, I just never ate anything! I felt kind of lousy and would drink water. I could have eaten towards the end of the day, but I was super tired and Bret was going to bed at 9pm so I just climbed into bed with him. YES the kids were not asleep (but were put to bed) and YES they kept coming in and interrupting our sleep for like a jillion times, but eventually everyone drifted off around 9:45 so it was all good.

This morning I have had 32oz of OJ and feel kind of queasy...I am so looking forward to feeling good again! So looking forward to having a regular schedule and having a clean house again. Soon, I hope!

7pm
Lesson learned. For lunch I had 2 1/2 honey ham, tomato, cheese, and lettuce sandwiches on whole wheat bread. That means I had five slices of bread! Then I had a healthy serving of vanilla cream with dabs of chocolate. Oh, man. I was in utter misery for the last four hours! I am finally now starting to feel back to normal, ugh.

I am reminded WHY I am eating raw and why I have been trying to maintain a 48-hour stretch at 100% - because ALL cooked food has to be out of my system or else I feel way sicker! So I last ate at 1:30pm...and starting then, I am shooting for 48 hours of solid raw food. Munching on peas right now...sweet and crunchy!

My weight is holding steady (okay, wavering up to even 135, but eventually it seems to go back down) at 133 so that's what I'm going to "clock in" for this week.

Weight So Far:

Week 5: 127
Week 8: 133
Week 9: 130
Week 10: 133
Week 11: 133

1 comment:

  1. weird eh...I realized yesterday that I forgot to eat lunch AND dinner!!!! ha ha...the life of a busy mom....but seriously my tummy feels so much better today....light and pleasant, so it actually felt good to eat breakfast.
    the stew sounds yummy by the way:)

    ReplyDelete