Friday, May 27, 2011

Week 14, Day 1 - New outlook on things

A friend of mine over on the Venus Index forum suggested that I look into Cassandra Forsythe and her fit pregnancy blog. Wow. All I can say, is it has completely changed my outlook.

http://cassandraforsythe.blogspot.com/
Finally, FINALLY I actually have some sort of a "blueprint" to follow, someone who has gone before me so to speak, and done what I want to do! That's what I have been looking for, so that instead of floundering and changing things like every day, I can just continue doing it RIGHT and trust that it will work.

Basically what I learned from her is not to freak because I'm gaining more than before, right now. She had a rough first trimester eating like a whole package of cookies like I did, and gained 15 pounds by the six month mark and STAYED THERE the entire pregnancy!

While I think that is probably not what is going to happen to me, it did help me to realize (and remember) that the weight gain is more rapid in the beginning, then slows down in the middle. When I was 20 weeks in my last pregnancy, I stayed at about 140 pounds for a solid 8 weeks, some of it because I went up to 145 and then lost it again by doing more walking and green smoothies.

So. This gives me hope - that the rate I am gaining is not necessarily the same rate I will continue gaining throughout the pregnancy.

The other thing, is that she didn't work out much during her first trimester (like me) but starting around week 11, she started back in and continued up until her due date. 3 weeks later, she was back at it.

Now, I am NOT going to have unrealistic expectations - I will have EIGHT children ages 12 & under (in other words, not super eager to help.....but then, would that even be different if they were older? Somehow I doubt it) and SHE had just one baby. Just....one. little. baby. So....I'll probably be in recovery a bit longer just because I can't rest - unless I have someone come help, which I am probably going to try to look for someone. So we'll see.

The thing that really stuck out to me while reading her story, is that 1) she worked out, and worked out 5-6 days a week. Not wimpy workouts either, she gave it everything she got (In her own words, "I didn't just walk...I kicked my own butt!") and it was quite similar to what I do except that I am planning to run 20 miles a week and do weight training 3x a week. She did weight training but also taught cardio classes.

So, pretty similar. The thing that was really a help for me was that while she didn't really gain very much - she LOST inches in her butt and her arms and legs. Go figure! She LOST FAT while she was growing a perfectly healthy baby. She even measured small 3x and had 2 extra ultrasounds but all was completely healthy and the baby was bigger and thriving each time.

So the POINT is not to lose WEIGHT, but to lose FAT. She said even her husband commented that it seemed like she was losing fat in her legs & butt and getting firmer - so that is a really good vision for me to have.

Also, eating - she said she didn't worry about calories or restricting in any way, but she steered clear of sugar, processed sweets, white flour, and dairy (she was allergic). She ate mostly natural food. That is exactly what I want to do as well, minus the meat and heavier on the fresh fruits & vegetables.

Her pregnancy pictures don't look like supermodels, unrealistic with no blemishes, and I like that. It's not something I wish I could be like and yet, will never really reach. I want REALISTIC results and realistic goals, and I can see myself easily looking like her - which is what I need, something to give me hope and a vision. She is 39 weeks in this picture. So - yay! I'm happy. =)

Tonight I am hoping to sneak away at 7:30 after putting Harmony down for the night and while the kids watch their movie, Rachel babysitting, and go running. My goal is another 5k while listening to tunes on my NEW IPOD!! Woohoo!! I sold my $50 Victoria's Secret gift card (waaaah!) on Ebay for $40 and another toy I bought at a garage sale for $1, for $14...so I was able to get a simple $60 2nd generation (I know, SUPER old but whatever, it's blue and PRETTY and works great!) Ipod.

C ya!

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny with your need for motivation:):) very cute actually:) Cool you found a blog that's realistic and close to what you aim for..how fun!
    We had the same thought tonight...movie night...mother sneaks away for some exercise....hey the sun is finally out!
    Today we went swimming...well withe littles I didn't AVTUALLY swim but it still felt good:)A lovlkey fast walk by myself sounds even better!
    Awesome you got music to listen to now. that should really help!

    ReplyDelete