Thursday, May 5, 2011

Week 10, Day 6 - Trader Joes/Midwife Appt/Sunflower Seeds

I wasn't all that impressed with Trader Joes. I think that Whole Foods Market is more down my ally - I was hoping for Manna bread and some raw food treats (maybe some of those sunflower seed sprouts!) but TJ's had neither. Turns out, though, there is a Whole Foods Market even closer than TJ's to my birth center, so on my next appointment which is June 3rd, I'm going to check it out afterwards!

I did buy a red bell pepper and a pound of raw cashews - I think both of those are needed for the cheesy kale chips recipe I'm going to try.

My midwife appointment went well - I met a new midwife who was filling in for my normal one. I found out that there is a midwife who lives just minutes away from me! (As opposed to all the rest who live at LEAST 40 min away, if not more) I'm kind of kicking around the idea of trying a home birth this time, and I think Bret would be more comfortable with the idea if he knew Tracy was just right down the road. Anything to avoid having the baby born while he's driving like last time, I think!

I just LOVE the idea of retreating into my room by myself and really being able to focus inward and do my thing. I am confident that I can birth a baby on my own because, well, I've already done it, ha ha! It was very easy, smooth, and fluid in motion almost like I naturally did what I needed to do. I tend to tense up and want to perform, or please people who are around me - always aware of what they might be hoping/expecting me to do/act, and only when I'm by myself or Bret can I truly relax. But I've even thought, it would not be so bad if Bret couldn't make it to the birth (like worst case scenario someday) because I'm confident I could do it. I don't want to have to be the brave soldier - even if it's only *I* who thinks others are wanting me to be like that.

Anyway, I shared that with her and she said some people like to prepare at home AND at the center - so that the option is there to have it at home if necessary (as opposed to in the CAR, not really an ideal situation with DH driving 102 MPH!), but also have the option to drive to the birth center.

But it's also maybe just that I need everyone to leave me alone AT the birthing center, not necessarily at home. My room, bleh, I don't like it in there right now. Everything is turned upside down due to the project I started RIGHT before I got pregnant and sick, and it is like the opposite of a sanctuary, unlike the beautiful and cozy rooms at the birthing center.

I think it's settling in now, that I'm going to have another baby. It was nice going there again, brought back alot of really good memories. I have only had good experiences with the midwives, and I love how laid back they are. She gave my littles some crackers because they were acting up (of COURSE! Mommy is talking to someone, duh, we have to get her attention somehow!)and when they promptly dropped crumbs and pieces on the floor she was like, "Oh, don't even worry. I always know when I give crackers to them that I'll just sweep afterwards." =) She hugged me when I left - they're so nice and informal and just really really want to make you feel at HOME there.

She couldn't hear the baby's heartbeat, but she said that is normal for 10 weeks. Next time I go we should hear it strong & loud. The kids were scared by the loud whoosh whoosh noise and covered their ears, lol. I guess it does sound kind of like a monster, hee hee!

I came home and had already soaked some cashews in preparation to make some of that YUMMY vanilla cream again! Here is the recipe:

Vanilla Cream
1/2c cashews, soaked
1/2c thai coconut meat
3T thai coconut water
1/4c agave
1/4c coconut oil or butter
1T vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Blend, blend, blend! At first it totally stops up my blender, refuses to blend due to the lack of moisture, but when the coconut butter starts to get warm it gets more liquid-y and turns into a cream. Freeze until it turns into ice cream if you can, I couldn't wait that long and I ate the whole thing! But I feel OK about that because for breakfast I had 4 grapefruit, juiced...3/4 lb grapes, and 32oz of green smoothie.

I had made a fairly big batch of the chocolate frosting the other day, and it is now the consistency of butter, so I put little chunks into the cream. It is slightly salty, and the perfect balance - soooo good! Here is that recipe:

"Store Bought" Chocolate Frosting
9T coconut butter
9T cocoa powder
pinch salt
9T agave
1/2 tsp vanilla
1T warm water

It was a big trip to the birth center, I'm tired out! And the house is a mess. =( Guess I'll be cleaning after naptime...I'm headed to take a nap now, until the kids come home from school.

....I got a little sidetracked just now and did some surfing on Amazon - those sunflower seeds just keep calllllling me and we got PAID today. Hmmmmm. As I was looking at them, I came across a promotion they're having where if you buy $20 worth, you get $10 off! What!? That's like 50% off!

So after reading about Kristen's raves I decided to order some. I ordered:

Teriyaki Sprouted Sunflower Seeds
Curry Sprouted Sunflower Seeds
Garlic & Salt Sunflower Seeds
Cheezy Kale Chips
Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips

My total order WITH shipping was $15.45 - I was quite happy with that! Basically $3 per item - I would definitely pay that in the store if I was just shopping. I hope their promotion continues because if I like them, I'd love to buy more to have as a special treat when I'm reading a good book. =)

The kale chips I ONLY bought because Kristen raves and raves about them, AND is always eating them! She keeps a food journal and they are on there quite a bit. She says she would make her own, but where she lives apparently red bell peppers aren't as readily available as here. I can get them for 85c each quite often.

I'll make my own, you bet I will, but I also want to taste store bought ones too and see what they're like.

Oh! I'm so dumb. I just realized the ones she gets are a totally different brand, from Mountain something or other. Darn it! I could've gotten 3 more packages of sunflower seeds instead. Oh well, guess I'll have to see! I'll let you know. =)

Weight So Far:

Week 5: 127
Week 8: 133
Week 9: 130
Week 10: 133

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipes...right now I'm trying to really stick with my gluten/dairy/egg free diet for good....but have so much trouble finding time and motivstion to make myself the foods I can eat...how do you find time and motivation Sherah to do all this stuff for yourself...I basically hardly ate today because we are low on quick grab stuff (like bananas!)

    ReplyDelete