Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Week 31, Day 6 - Pinterest, a Beautiful Home, and other thoughts...

I hope to make this quick because my house needs a tidying something fierce! I don't want to get stuck on here. =)

So - my clothes are getting too tight. I need to do some serious shopping. My shirts are getting too tight in the tummy which is good, except that I also wonder if I'm gaining back fat at the same time in addition to a growing belly...rrrr. My bottoms are also getting tight, unfortunately - which means I am gaining weight. But honestly....it's not really that big of a deal to me, I know how to get the weight off and I am looking forward to jumping in head first with that hopefully beginning February 1st. So it kind of gives me a little bit of leeway to hang out and enjoy the pregnancy (OMG did I just say enjoy the pregnancy?? Ha!).

Walking lasted 5 days and then when the rain hit, I was no longer motivated. But mostly, and to be completely honest - I really REALLY needed that motivation to jumpstart me out of my state of boohoo and poor me and life sucks. And it worked! I had goals again (of walking) and staying fit and I had sort of something to do with myself, instead of just waiting for....the END to come.

Then, on Sunday to be specific, I went to a baby shower for my sister in law who is due a week from tomorrow!!! LUCKY her! The shower was at Rachel T's house - I'm sure some of you ladies have been there, but *I* never have.

Given my current state of obsession (which is necessary, I believe God sends us these obsession-like tendencies so that we'll get the job done!! Same goes with fitness!) with making my home into a place that is lovely and welcoming....I was so completely WOWED by her house that I could not get over it. Even ask DH, I was talking about her home for like, the rest of the night. Ha ha!

It was GORGEOUS!!!!!! Like, everything I have been dreaming of and wishing I could do with our house. But the thing is, I've been in beautiful homes before (Becky T, Tina B, and Susan B, love their homes!) BUT never before has it seemed so feasible for ME to make MY home into what I consider to be a beautiful home. Specifically the interior.

I am not talking about the structure of the home itself - in my opinion, everyone is ALREADY living in a gorgeous home - they just have to MAKE IT SO!

And what inspired me SO completely was when I came to the realization that she along with her husband, had actually purchased an older 80's home and everything that I saw that was definitely NOT older 80's, had been done by THEM! Little by little, as they were able to, as she found stuff on craigslist, as she slowly put together the most beautiful decor I've ever seen in person.

The cabinets in her kitchen were painted white, so pretty and so bright! You could see where they had added crown molding to the top of the cabinets and soft lights behind there - the nail holes were still present and waiting to be filled in. White? Yes, WHITE. Very similar to this kitchen...isn't it pretty?
Just about everything in her house was WHITE - and actually it is quite interesting because if you think about it, white is not very practical with little ones - and she has THREE ages 7, 5, and 3. But I suppose that in a way it makes it easier to SEE the dirt, so you can wipe it off. OR even touch it up since it's, well, WHITE.

I don't know if it is a pregnancy thing (I really hope not!!) but I am currently obsessed with WHITE in my home! I could not believe how beautiful it made her house, especially when she hung sheer curtains from her bay windows, and the sun was streaming in as we were sitting there sharing bits of advice about babies. Her COUCHES were white too and at one point I was like um...Okay, I have to know?? HOW do you keep these clean??

She was like oh, it's no problem - they are from Ikea, and covered in Ikea's slipcovers, and the slipcover unzips and can be thrown in the wash and bleached white again. Hmmm. That concept is pretty much what I've gone with, in my reasoning behind getting all white bedding. As long as it is removable and able to wash, I love the idea! I think though, that it would be perfect for a room that doesn't get much use, as in a separate more formal and beautiful living room...but it really has opened up a whole new world for me where things used to have to always be black or brown when you have lots of kids. PAINT, in particular, can always be repainted!

Her color scheme was GRAY on the walls, as well. It looked SO beautiful and calming and serene, I don't think I ever would have seen gray as an option to paint my entire main living area. It seems like it would be depressing??? But with all the white, it was not, it was beautiful. I'm actually thinking about doing the same in my house - but I don't know if I'm brave enough. It is a very far cry from my current, more Italian warm colors of gold, olive, burgundy decor. It would be a humongous MAJOR change for me but I really love the idea of white and who knows, maybe it IS time for a change. After all I've had this type of decor for the entire time I've been married, 14 years, and while I do still like it - it's fun to think of something new and exciting.

I talked to DH and he said that if I sell things, little things here & there that I pick up at thrift stores, etc, on Ebay or Craigslist then I can keep the money to spend on whatever I want. Ie, my house! Ooooh so fun! So I was able to promo my Halloween costume ebook a little bit and ended up earning a total of $127 - woohoo! I already have ordered these sheer curtain panels for a total of $30 and they are en route to the store for pickup in a few days:

I only ordered two panels and they will hang straight down, no scarf or anything. They will look more like this:

And YES I almost bought these - they are at Pottery Barn on sale for a total of $62 shipped, ooooh I wanted to! But the JCPenny ones got really good reviews AND were just $30 shipped so I went with those instead. =)

I like the straight down hanging look - although I do think I will be buying 2 of these at Lowe's for $7 each to let them sweep to the side if I want them to:

Next, I've found on Ebay both a deep pocket white 6pc sheets set, and 2 duvet covers. Those are going to cost me $132 so I need to sell a few more things before I can order them. It's so fun to work on my room and dream about this or that I want to do. I think seeing Rachel's house made me realize that if I want my home to look a certain way, I don't have to settle for grunge and ugly just because I have lots of kids.

No, I certainly do not have alot of time to work on things either, but that's the beauty of it - it IS POSSIBLE because I can do it little by little, each day. I have pockets of time I can devote to it, like each day I've been painting one section of my room, and then the next day I go back and give that one section a 2nd coat. Then, move on to the next. It is looking so pretty, so milky white and soft, dreamy. I have yet to paint the upper half blue, that will be fun - white is getting boring, lol.

I also have plans to paint my bathroom cabinets black - it will be a nice contrast to all the white. I plan to have several black pieces in my room, mostly my bed and the bathroom cabinets - those are actually IN my room, as the actual toilet/shower is the only part that is enclosed in a different room with a door that locks. So it's a major part of my room. Currently my bathroom looks like this with washed out and faded oak, plain white laminate counters (at least they're not PINK!!), humongous mirror with no frame, and hollywood-type lights. Very much like this except just one sink:

This particular bathroom in the picture, was transformed into THIS by a Mom just like me - simple, DIY stuff done little by little. Love!

Last but not least, I want to invite you to check out my inspiration boards on Pinterest! I love love LOVE this site, and it has helped me a TON to find out what my own style is, what I naturally LOVE when I see different things. Otherwise I kind of feel lost, like I like all different looks and can't decide, or I have NO idea how to decorate. I love the LOOK, but how to incorporate it into MY home? Really overwhelming! Pinterest is a place to "pin" your favorite inspiration pictures and put them all in one place so I can at a glance, see my favorite ideas.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but I just googled "how to pinterest" when I was trying to figure it all out, and pretty quickly got set up and going. Since I have to lie down quite a bit now, in between bursts of energy where I exhaust myself, lol, I love to go on pinterest and look at what everyone else is "pinning" and it's just, well, awesome!

So without further ado, I invite you to *my* pinterest boards...and you can see what my plans are for my rooms. I took off the board & batten pictures because I am done with that now in my room - I'll most likely take the pictures off as I complete the different ideas.

Go to www.pinterest.com and "Find Friends" and you should be able to find me through Facebook, I think. Check out my "boards" in particular - the Master Bedroom. Yummmmmmy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment